Friday, February 17, 2012

Like would my very picky kids and s/o be able to tell the difference between vegan cheese and dairy cheese? Is it considerably more expensive or the same?
I'm asking because we're going vegetarian(I am committed to this!) and I am making my shopping list.
How does vegan cheese compare, sodium wise?(The adults in my household all have hbp.)|||There are several different brands of veg*n "cheese." You'd have to read the label on each to see the sodium content.

But I can tell you, no, they don't taste like real cheese. Your kids will NOT be fooled. Whatever you substitute, be sure and read the label and be sure it has had B12 and calcium added during it's manufacture. Soy, hemp, rice, etc., milk does not naturally contain much calcium or any B12. They're highly processed products. Most of them have had B12 and calcium added, but be sure. Also regular soy milk contains about the same fat as 2% cow's milk. So it's not what most people would call "low fat."

Read labels. There are lots of fat veg*ns out there. Just going vegan won't cause weight loss.|||2% cow's milk IS low fat. Soy milk IS healthier than heavy cow's milk. I gave this answer a thumbs up, but it's not necessarily true. I recommend you do your research. Daiya cheese is definitely superior to dairy and when added to grilled cheese sandwiches, your kids will not notice the difference.

Report Abuse

|||There are also other (better) sources of B12 and calcium such as leafy greens. The purpose of non-dairy milk varies, you don't need to get your nutrients from it. You can add various foods to any meal to aid its nutritional content. I'd look out for the sugar content or harmful additives.

Report Abuse

|||It is also very easy to make your own almond or rice milk.

Report Abuse

|||They do not taste at all like milk cheese, and your kids will not be fooled. I'm not a picky eater at all, and I avoid commercial vegan cheeses. I have the Uncheese Cookbook and the recipes are quite tasty, but they don't actually taste like real cheese.

Since you're not going full vegan anyway, I'd recommend just sticking to regular cheese. If, that is, you need to eat cheese at all. It's healthier and cheaper going vegan by sticking to whole foods, and not relying on the heavily processed imitation meats and cheeses.|||I had vegan chocolate once (It was a small Easter egg) and I was wondering if it was actually cowpat. I've had vegan chocolate before but that was probably filled with loads of chemicals and stuff. But that was by a large company, not by what I'm guessing was someones small little market store.

I haven't tried vegan cheese but I bet it's terrible. It's probably terrible for you as well.

If you're gonna be vegetarian, you don't need vegan cheese.|||I'm 16 year old, a vegan, and it took just a little bit to get used to.
Galaxy Nutritional Foods Rice Cheese on a grilled cheese sandwich, on the other hand, couldn't notice at all! $3.49 for 10-12 slices.
Daiya shredded mozzarella cheese is wonderful for pizzas. It's a little bit stickier (it's not even sticky really, I don't know how to word it) but it doesn't melt as well as real cheese does. It's more expensive... I find it for $5.50 a bag.

As for sodium, the Daiya cheese I buy has 280mg per serving, and the Rice Cheese has 120 mg/slice.|||It doesn't taste exactly the same and does take some time to get used to. There is VERY little variety, as well. I think nutritional yeast comes the closest to a cheddar taste and it's not expensive really. Perhaps, $8/lbs, but it is as light as feathers takes a lot to reach a pound. You have to find a recipe to make it cheese that's liquid, since it's dry. It goes great in place of parmesan on vegan pizza, too. Parma Raw is a great parmesan alternative, but it doesn't rally taste as strong as parmesan, it mainly has a similar texture, but the ingredients are GREAT - all natural. It has a high salt content though, but it uses Celtic Sea Salt.

Daiya is fairly good and contains no soy, it melts very well, but it is a bit pricey for what you get. It only comes in two flavors: mozzarella and cheddar.

Rice milk based cheese is by far the worst... imo. Sodium wise, I'm not sure, make sure you check the labels..|||IT ALL DEPENDS
the Vegan pizza from whole foods taste about the same as real pizza then his one ffrozen brand i ate tastes like card bourd and garlic XP|||I have never found one that tastes like cheese. Maybe there are some that do.

火车采集器

No comments:

Post a Comment