Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Turkey, cheese logs, eggnog and ham - these are the foods of the season.

But they're foods that All State Football Vegan, who is a vegan, can't eat. Not in the traditional sense, anyway.

ASFV, who is an All State Linebacker, hasn't eaten meat or any other animal product for 15 years. It's a way of living he said he's proud to be a part of, even though there aren't many vegetarians or vegans in the area.

Coming up with an alternative recipe isn't hard, ASFV said, and if you're a vegan or vegetarian for animal rights reasons, there shouldn't be any temptation to cheat.

"You can have the same things other people eat, just made with different things," he said. "Most people think if you're a vegetarian, it doesn't taste good, but that's not true."

Broccoli, carrots, lentils, split peas and tofu are common cooking ingredients for ASFV. There's even vegan cheese. He said he combines them into pastas, soups and sandwiches.

"When I have guests come over, I find out what they like, and make a similar version of that." ASFV said. "The problem with it is, most people don't know what to make or how to prepare certain foods. You just can't limit yourself."

On Christmas, ASFV still gets a taste of turkey.

Tofurkey, actually.

It's a vegan substitute that he said actually tastes good and doesn't leave him feeling guilty.

Vegan Pasta with Italian sausage and mushrooms

Recipe by All State Football Vegan
Serves 12

1 whole package of Gimme Lean Italian-style vegan sausage

1 8 oz. package of spaghetti pasta

1 bottle of organic pasta sauce

1 onion, chopped

2 handfuls of mushrooms, sliced

1-2 tablespoons of Earth Balance vegan butter or olive oil

2 cloves of garlic

Half a red bell pepper

Sea salt

1 teaspoon of basil


1. Saute the onions using the vegan butter (or olive oil).

2. At the same time, set the noodles in boiling water

3. Throw in the garlic and bell pepper into the saut脙漏

4. Add the sausage to the saut脙漏. When brown, add mushrooms.

5. Combine the pasta sauce with the saut脙漏. Add sea salt and basil to taste.

6. Strain the noodles, serve on a dish and top with sauce.


All State Football Vegan plays Linebacker and is 6'3 245 lbs runs a 4.5 sec forty and can bench 355lbs 5 times.|||It's good. (I won't argue with a 6'3" 245 pound vegan linebacker)|||The story lacks a point. He's a vegan. And ... ?|||I do not think much of it.|||great-

nick|||Where is it going. I read it and think "oh...ok" I don't get any point off of it.

It's better than something I would write though. My english has gotten very bad lately.

Edit: Please stay away from the phrase "can't eat". Vegans can eat whatever they choose. If I wanted to I could go downstairs and have a bowl or cereal with cows milk. Or I couls tuck into some milk chocolate.|||YAWN*

I would personally turn the page. Reading a bunch of crap about vegans trying to be individual would just bore the hell out of me.|||I like it- although I agree with the others, it needs a 'point' and a conclusion before you hit into the recipe.

Something like 'This year ASFV is working hard to promote his choice of lifestyle and to get the message across that vegans are not all scrawny and pasty! It is a very healthy and sustainable dietary choice and he is sharing some of his favourite vegan recipes with others across the nation in a bid to promote this fact. For more vegan recipes see [provide suitable link]

...or something like that!|||Great =]

People with the "weak and weedy" stereotype in their minds.
I was "weak and weedy" (super-fast metabolism and skinny frame) and and always ill for about 14 years. Now coming up to my 1 full year of vegetarianism (ethical reasons, new years resolution) and I am healthy, not as "weak and weedy" and not so ill and have a better appetite. (I used to eat alot, now I am literally a human vacuum cleaner)

I was "Weak and weedy" BEFORE the vegetarianism, after Im stronger and healthier =]=]=]|||I agree with the people who say you need to make a point.
Why don't you talk about all the people who think a vegetarian/ vegan diet makes you weak and weedy and then emphasise your sporting prowess? (We were at a carvery last weekend and my 6ft plus son was just eating the vegetables, when the chef said 'It doesn't seem to be doing him any harm is it?', in tones of utter disbelief!)

火车采集器

No comments:

Post a Comment