Friday, February 24, 2012

I'm a vegetarian who has been allergic to milk all my life, so I'm close to a vegan (I'll eat honey and such). But whenever I look in the supermarket for milk-free cheese most say something like "not appropriate for those with milk allergies", or even "contains milk protein". Yet they all are marketed as vegan. I've also eaten soy cheese (after being assured there was no milk in it) and had a reaction soon after. I've found a fair amount of brands that do not do this and I'm fine with, but all the stores close to me only carry the cheeses I'm allergic to, and it's frustrating. I don't think it's a "manufactured with" problem either, because I've seen milk-related products in the ingredients of a couple. So, should they still be considered vegan? And why do they still put those things in if it's supposedly "milk-free"?|||I've seen cheese labeled as "vegan" when they have casein in them. Just be sure to read the ingredients on them and make sure they don't have casein or rennet. Sheese is a good brand that is vegan.

The reason they can put casein, which is a milk protein, in it and still call it "milk-free" is because it's not lactose, and therefor people who are lactose intolerant can still eat it. The waiter in the restaurant probably assumed you were lactose intolerant, rather than allergic to milk.

Don't trust labels, read ingredients.|||"Yet they all are marketed as vegan."
No, they are marketed as vegetarian, not vegan. They are in a section with vegetarian/vegan foods. They are not vegan. Re-read.


So, to answer your question, VEGAN cheeses are considered vegan, but the cheese you're eating is vegetarian. BIG difference. Just because it says "soy cheese" doesn't mean you should automatically assume it's vegan.

This is also why this happened: "I've also eaten soy cheese (after being assured there was no milk in it)"
You aren't actually paying attention or reading labels anymore. You're just taking people's word or making gross assumptions.


Stop.
Look.
Read.
Understand.


EDIT: Three thumbs down? Looks like I have my troll fans following me :)

EDIT 2: Then let this be a lesson that you can't trust "vegan" and people...you need to see it for yourself. If you're at a restaurant again, ask to see the package. And I hope you called back to let them know that a careless waiter caused you to be ill. Sorry you had to go through it, but at least you now know how to prevent it.|||If you would read the labels you would know exactly what is in the product. Would think if you live in the U.S. that you would know this.|||Maybe you're allergic to something else too - something you don't know about??|||I am vegan to,
Not all soy cheese is vegan. Alot of it has casein, a milk protein. Rarely, these milk proteins are marked as natural flavours which can also be confusing. Although, these cheeses are not supposed to have lactose in them for people that are lactose intolerent. It should usually say on the label the word "vegan" if it is vegan. But alot of them are only marked as vegetarien which can be confusing.|||H.T.C is right in a way, there was a particular brand of veg burgers i liked buying all the time, but one day i actually read the label, and it said "contains traces of eggs and dairy products"..............

i have no information on your cheese quandary, but i know i bought veggie cheese slices and they fooled my brother that they were real

火车采集器

No comments:

Post a Comment