Tuesday, February 28, 2012

In the next month or so, my grandparents will be coming to stay for a couple of weeks, and mother has asked me to prepare a meal for them. Thing is: I'm a vegan, but my neither one of my parents approve, and always tell me how unhealthy, ect it is. And I'm not talking about "hey, why don't you eat some omlette for once". At one point, I stopped eating altogether because their constant critzism got that bad.

So, yes, I need ideas for a good, vegan meal that will feed at least five people- a desert and a main course, preferably. Oh, and, me, my mother and my grandparents where all born/live in Uzbekistan (despite being Russian...), therefore please don't suggest halva, baklava, meat-free pillaf, ect.

And please, no vegan cheese, we all agree it tastes vile :)|||One recipe I really like is vegan alfredo. I don't know how many portions this makes, but here is a recipe I found worked quite well. You really do need the Tofutti cream cheese and sour cream to make it taste really good. I tried just making it with the silken tofu and it didn't work well. Make sure to get the SOUR SUPREME as directed, and not the regular sour cream since it is not as zesty.

My substitutes to this recipe is to use some either dried or fresh basil to taste, don't add too much or it will turn into basil sauce. If vegan parmesan is too expensive or you can't find it, get some nutritional yeast instead, add some until you feel it tastes cheesy enough. If you've never used nutritional yeast, it looks yellow and flaky unlike regular yeast that's round and grainy. Anyway, a combination of a few squirts of mustard, nutritional yeast, and soy sauce tastes like some pretty legit cheese. I also like to add chopped mushrooms to the sauce.

Play with it, and taste your sauce all along the way until you really like it. I still experiment with this recipe to try to make it taste like real alfredo sauce.

A few downfalls to this recipe... You must serve it right away. It doesn't make good leftovers because the sauce takes on more of that solid tofu texture after being left out for a while or refrigerated, but if you must microwave it or re-heat it over the stove, add a little bit of water and mix it well to get the desired creamy consistency back.

This sauce makes about a full blender full which equates to covering roughly a package of fettuccine noodles. When I make it, it feeds about 4 helpings. It depends on how hungry we are. I suggest combining this with a meat alternative of your choice. I heard the vegan nuggets are really good. I would suggest the breaded chicken boca burgers (super tasty), but they contain whey. ...or buy some real chicken patties for them and then chop them but don't eat them yourself. It depends on what you want. I haven't tried many meat alternatives, but I do know that chicken plus alfredo is usually a win.


Ingredients:

* 1 package silken (soft) tofu
* 1 tbsp soy margarine
* 1/4 cup Tofutti Sour Supreme vegan sour cream
* 2 tbsp Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese vegan cream cheese
* 1/4 cup vegan Parmesan cheese
* 1 tsp garlic powder
* salt and pepper to taste
* 1/2 cup unsweetened soy milk
* pasta

Preparation:
Place all ingredients (except pasta) into a blender. Blend to a creamy sauce, adding more soy milk to achieve desired consistency.

Heat gently until hot, but do not boil.

Serve over fettuccine pasta.

You may also try to make your own pesto--store bought pesto usually has milk derivatives--but pine nuts are really expensive.

Serve it with a salad. You can find great raspberry vinaigrette's at the store, or stick to balsamic and other herb-oil based dressings opposed to ranch or Caesar. We try to find a nice loaf of vegan bread usually its sourdough if store bought, but some of our local bakeries also make awesome vegan french bread-type loafs. For dessert--take advantage that its summer! There are so many great fruits that are in season.

There are awesome vegan ice creams, too. If you can find coconut based ice creams, they retain the nice creamy texture of regular ice cream. ...or if you don't want to spend much, pick up a pure fruit sorbet from the store. I haven't tried to make any of these, but I found recipes on how to make your own vegan ice cream today. This one seemed easiest:

Red Raspberry Sherbet
This beautiful fuchsia -colored sherbet is creamy, delicious and has no coconut taste even though it uses coconut milk instead of dairy milk.

* 1 quart (4 cups) raspberries
* 1 (14-ounce can) coconut milk
* 3/4 cup unrefined sugar
* 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Anyway, these are just my suggestions. I am not vegan by the way, but I do cook a combination of vegan/non-vegan food due to dietary limitations. Its a good challenge and there are some delicious vegan recipes out there. Good luck!|||So some minestrone soup, pasta, garlic bread, pasta salad, salad? Easy, and who doesn't like Italian?
Ohh, a great pasta dish I love: boil some rotini, steam broccoli florets, and sautee some zuchinni, sun dried tomatoes, onion, and minced garlic in olive oil. Toss it all together. Delish.|||I suggest Enchiladas.

You need soy mince, onion, sweetcorn, tin of chopped tomatoes, tortillas and some passata for the topping. You can add mushrooms or beans if you like. If you can find soy sour cream, great, if not then plain soy yoghurt works ok.

Or you can find recipes on here:
http://vegweb.com/index.php?board=222.0;鈥?/a>|||Meal-
Salad: Just add some nuts, berries, apples, craisins, etc. to make it a bit 'different'.

Stuffed Peppers: Stuff peppers with rice, some carrots, onions, corn, peas, etc. and add tomato sauce and boca 'meat' crumbles.

You can also make... Mashed sweet potato w/Cinamon and vegan butter/margarine, Roasted Veggies, Rice, Cole Slaw, Three Bean Salad (Add celery, onion, garlic, carrots, etc.), Stir Fry, etc.

Dessert-
Fruit Smoothie: *You can use either Soy, Almond, Coconut, or Rice milk..Whichever you prefer. For a 16oz smoothie, 1 cup of "milk", several ice cubes, and add either a banana, strawberries, mango, or whatever else you like. Blend and serve. (You can either use vegan alternatives for everyone, or use cow milk for theirs.)

Yogurt Parfait: For this, use whatever vegan yogurt you want. I am aware of soy/coconut milk yogurt. Add some cereal or granola and berries. (Again, you can choose to serve theirs with dairy.)

Brownies/Muffins/Cake: You can just use a milk alternative, and in the place of eggs there is an egg substitute that you can find at most health food stores.

Goodluck ! :)

火车采集器

No comments:

Post a Comment