Tuesday, February 28, 2012

I've recently switched to a vegan diet and made the mistake of spending way more than I could afford on my groceries.I think I bought lots of "luxury" items like lots of boca burgers, lots of tofu, chips, salsa, cheese, lots of veggies, and lots of soy milk. I finished everything quick. I have a $30 dollar budget for two weeks. I used to live on just junk food before (didn't really grocery shop to cook). But I want to be healthier! I have a few questions. I am not going back to meat and dairy products. I love animals and don't want to contribute to their abuse so please don't suggest that.

1. What is the difference between organic items at Wholefoods and regular at my local grocery store? Do you think the items in the bins at Wholefoods are pricey? Should I just buy the beans and rice from my local grocery store?
2. Do you think vegan cheese is too pricey for a low budget vegan?
3. What's nutritional yeast and what do I need it for?
4. What are some STAPLE herbs and spices?
5. What's the difference between sea salt and regular salt?
6. Is too much soy bad for you?

Also....where is the BEST place to buy meat for my dog that is NOT factory farmed?

Thank you so much in advance!! Really appreciate it since I'm a little confused about this new stuff which I know might seem obvious. Like I said never really grocery shopped before.|||1) There is a difference between organic and non-organic, but that difference is heavily disputed. Some say non-organic foods are damaging your body, others say it's no different. However, organic foods definitely use much less chemicals and environmentally harmful processing. I usually go for organic caus it tastes better to me. As far as beans and rice is concerned, they probably won't taste or feel any different. They're rather bland foods that need some spicing up with veggies n stuff.

2) Vegan cheese is definitely too pricey. And very processed. Nutritional Yeast is a good replacement in small doses. If you're looking to make grilled cheese....well, that's gonna get expensive with the singles.

3) Nutritional Yeast is a single celled organism similar to bread yeast. It won't harm you unless you're allergic or something. It's usually good for adding a cheesy flavor to dishes without using cheese.

4) Staples: Garlic, Salt, Canola Oil for cooking, Olive Oil for mixing, Lemon Juice, Vinegar, Cinnamon, Basil, and I'm a personal fan of Rosemary and Fennel Seed.

5) Sea Salt has natural minerals found in the ocean that aren't present in regular, processed salt.

6) There is a lot of research about too much soy. Once again, the jury is still out for this. I usually stick on the safe side and eat soy only about once a week.

btw, a real trick to eating cheap is buying the raw ingredients and cooking for yourself. If you don't have this option, there are a lot of tasty raw food recipes out there that only require very little equipment. Also, slow cookers can work wonders, and you don't have to be around while it's doing its thing.

Not sure where to find meat for your dog.|||I'm also on a budget currently. Dried beans, rice noodles, split pea soups and lentils, oatmeal, frozen veggies are big staples for me and are pretty cheap. As for the vegan cheese thing: yeah I agree its pricey. I only buy it sometimes, instead I buy an avocado and spread it over a baked potato or as a condiment for a cheesy texture. Garbanzo beans in a can blended with garlic and spices also is yummy. I'm not a big fan of nutritional yeast but my mom says its cheesy tasting sprinkled on air popped popcorn (another cheap food) staple herbs for me are cinnamon, pepper, celtic sea salt (worth the cost-you can use so very little of it for flavor) garlic, cumin, tabasco, chives (so buttery flavored and cheap-buy in bulk), olive oil (it brings out the flavor of so much and is just an amazing oil) and as for the sea salt vs table salt. There are still trace elements of nutrients in sea salt and table salt is mostly sodium and that's all. Plus the flavor is better with sea salt. Too much soy can cause hormonal imbalances with women who have gone through menopause and are on hormone replacement therapy (it can increase the chance of breast cancer) but there hasn't been any conclusive research that isn't argued the next day so it's up to what you're body wants. Everything in moderation I guess|||1) organic food is organic food-if it has the USDA certified organic seal it is organic. the main difference between Whole Foods and other groceries when it comes to organics is price.
2) yes but you should still be able to afford every other week or so
3)You need the yeas for B vitamins which most people get from meat sources
4)basil, flat leaf parsley, oregano, dill, rosemary, sage, thyme
5)sea salt is not processed, table salt is
6)Yes, so should be eaten as a condiment and in a fermented form. it also must be certified organic or you will be eating GMO soy

The best thing to do to eat on the cheap is buy whole foods and cook them yourself. Processed foods are very expensive and not good for you (and if vegan, if not certified organic full of GMO soy). learn to cook, get your parents to buy you some decent pots and pans and other equipment to make cooking much easier. Get some good vegetarian cook books. One of my favorites is the Moosewood Cookbook

Buy your produce in bulk in season at farmers markets and process it yourself (i.e. can or freeze it) and you can eat very very well on $30 a week

On $30 a week you will not be able to afford fresh non factory farmed meat for your dog as the average price for even things like chicken backs (the cheapest meat out there) is around $2 a pound and unless it is a toy breed you will need at least 10 pounds of meat a week for the dog. But the best place is either straight off the farm or at a farmers market. http://www.localharvest.org|||I am not vegan but I would liek to give some tips and a few recipe to you.

Basics for anyone who is trying to eat decently on a low budget is beans (dried bean are Real cheao and you can make some up to freeze and have on hand)
Rice
Pasta
Basic fresh produce such as carrots, potatoes, onions, garlic, celery
Frozen veggies such as corn, green beans, broccoli, peas, etc...

I also keep canned no salt added tomatoes in my cupboard for chilis and sauces etc...

As far as herbs and spices the dried ones are okay you can buy thenm cheap at wal-mart, dollar store, K-mart etc...and keep en eye out if you have a Smiths/Krger for when they drop prices fresh stuff to about 1 dollar for the little packets that is usually 2-3 dollars., these are found in the produce section.

No to your specific questions:

1. Your local grocerey store Should have organic produce but really you don't need to buy Everything organic. Googel the dirty dozen of produce. Those are what you should buy organically. Beans and rice are just fine to buy from any old regular store. They are all the same unless you are looking for a specific brand but still they will pretty much be the same.

2. Yes vegan cheese is pricey. I like the almond cheeses but I guess they aren't completely vegan. Vegan cream cheese is good on occasion. But the vegan sour cream to me wasn't impressive.

3. Nutritional yeast is supposed to have a cheesy flavor for things such as mac and cheese etc... but I have not tried it.

4. In my kicthen I like to have:
Italian seasoning
Parsley
Dreid chives
sea salt
pepper
chili powder
onion and garlic powders
cumin
cinnamon
all spice
cloves
nutmeg

5. Sea salt is just less processed.

6. To much of anything is bad for you.


Also all the Boca and Morning Star products are not good for you to eat on a regular basis. They are Veyr processed foods.

Try this vegan burger recipe, I am not vegan but I Love it. I prefer it in a lettuce wrap with a slice of tomato, ketchup and mayo (veganaisse for you of course)

I had these at a vegan potluck. The "burgers" were moist, crunchy, and tasty. And ours were cold by the time we got them but they were so good I had 2. And they fill you up so well that I regetted eating 2 becuase I was so Full, but also very happy.

Kasha and Oat Garden Burgers:

5 1/4 cups veggie broth
1-2 vegan bullion cubes for added flavor
1/4 cup olive oil
1 cup kasha (dried buck wheat groats)
3 1/2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
2 tbsp died onion flakes
1/2 tsp onion powder
2 tsp Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp garlic powder
2 cups finely chopped fresh veggies of choice (carrots, spianch, garlic, zucchini etc...)
1 cup fresh finely chopped herbs
1/2 onion minced
1/2 cup mushrooms stemmed and chopped small
4-6 tsp seseme seeds
1/4 cup sunflower seeds or other nuts chopped small (pceans, almonds etc...)
1 tbsp veggie oil
salt and pepper
olive oil for brushing patties
parchment paper

In a large pan the veggie broth to a boil, add onion flakes, onion powder, italian seasoning, garlic powder and bullion cubes. Stir in kasha, oats, and olive oil and allow to simmer for about 15 min, stir frequently.

You will have a very thick sticky mixture, remove from heat and set aside to cool to at least room temp. At this point you may choose to put it in the fridge overnight.

Heat a small amount of oil in a skillet and saute the onion and garlic on medium high heat for about 2 min. Add te shredded veggies and cotinue to saute until soft. Add seseme seeds, mushrooms herbs, and sunflower seeds. Saute 5 more min stirring frequently. Adjust seasoning to taste.

Combine the veggie and kasha/oat mix by hand until everything is well incorperated. Cover and rest at least 1 hour in the fridge. Everything should be cool enough to handle confortably.

In the mean time line a cookie sheet with e parchment paper, and if you choose spray with Pam etc... Scoop out about 1/2 cup of the mix and roll into a ball and flatten into a pattie, place on cookie sheet.

Give another quick spray of pam or brush with oil or melted butter/margerine. Bake at 350 for 25 min, flip then cook for another 20 min or until light golden brown. You coul also pan fry these.

Enjoy as is or wrap individually and freeze, reheat in the oven, toaster or a dry skillet-reheating them in a greased skillet with make hem fall apart.

**I think these would be great t leave in small balls, bake ad then simmer in spaghetti sauce. The fresh herbs would flavor the sauce and I think these could also soak up some great flavors.

***P.S. after making this for the first time. I used left over veggies, and pulsed the in the food process and use a little over a cup. But I wouldn’t recommend it. That flavor was awesome but the texture was not so appealing.
Also after tasting this I would be willing to sit down and have bowl full of this for breakfast or lunch.

---------------

Ranch Dressing:

3/4 tbsp dried chives
3/4 tbsp dried parsley
1/4 tsp dill weed
1/2 tbsp garlic powder
1/2 tbsp onion powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
3/4 heaping cup vegan mayo such as veganaise
1/2 cup vegan sour cream
2 capfulls cider vinegar
juice of 1/2 lemon

Mix the dry ingredients into the mayo. Add everything else stir and let sit for a while…..in the fridge.|||1. It depends on what product you are buying, not the store. Yes, buy from your local store it will likely be cheaper.
2. Yes, vegan cheese is not nessisary. If your on a budget buy only the nessesities.
3. I love nutritional yeast flakes I like to sprinkle them on beans rice or potatoes with a bit of soy sauce. It is often used to make vegan cheese sauces.
4. My staples are - italian seasoning, curry, garlic, salt, pepper
5. sea salt is in larger chunks. It is used often by chefs to dry out certain foods. If you are just looking for a salt to sprinkle on top cooked foods, go with reguar
6. Supposibly

火车采集器

No comments:

Post a Comment