Friday, February 17, 2012

I've been through two brands already (I honestly can't remember the names, though), and I couldn't even swallow one bite. I had to spit it out, it was so gross. I think that cheese is my biggest roadblock to becoming vegan, since I adore it so--mac 'n' cheese and veggie burgers with cheese and cheese sticks are my favorite foods. I feel like if I can find a (non-wallet-emptying) cheese substitute from which my taste buds don't recoil, it'll be all smooth sailing from there. So, vegans, what's the best fake cheese out there?|||Hi :)

I have been through tons of brands and here are the ones I think are the closest to dairy and the yummiest!

For Cream Cheese: Tofutti "better than Cream Cheese"
This tastes great on bagels and wraps, you can make very delicious cheesecake with it, and I make the most delicious lasagna filling using it. For this I process firm tofu in a blender til smooth, then mix in a bowl with the cream cheese, chopped spinach, herbs, salt and pepper. So yummy!

For Processed cheese slices: Tofutti brand also. It comes in mozzarella flavor and cheddar. Great for burgers, sandwiches, etc.

For Parmesan Type: I use many brands. One is "Galaxy Nutrition Foods" and another is "Life Free From"

For Grated Cheddar or Mozzarella type: Daiya is really, really good. You can make a pizza with it and it melts, stretches and tastes very good. It comes in both cheddar style and Italian which is a cross between Parmesan and Mozzarella in taste. I make my mac and cheese with it. I usually mix both flavors of the Daiya cheese, even on pizza.

So I think you'll be okay going cheese free! lol

Btw, the last link for Galaxy, the only cheese I like from them is the grated topping, which is the parmesan one. The rest are plastic like and gross.

Good Luck!|||I guess after a while you don't miss it at all when you consider what is in it (dairy cheese that is) but I make my own using tahini & nutritional yeast, lemon juice .. but I don't find the 'cheesly' brand or tofutti too bad -they are ok for a treat occasionally!- do a search and I'm sure you could make something up! otherwise just let those cravings become further and further apart so you have the 'cheese' as a treat and nto everyday! hope that helped! cheers|||There is no perfect cheese substitute. I use Nutritional Yeast in a lot of stuff instead. But if you want to use it for sandwiches and stuff try Teese. I think it's the best. It also melts pretty well. You can't get it everywhere but I think you can order it online. http://www.teesecheese.com/|||My favorite at the moment is Teese, as another answerer said.
I'm with you, cheese was the hardest thing for me to give up. But now I don't miss it anymore after experiencing the benefits of being vegan :)|||I've heard wonderful things about Daiya, unfortunately they don't sell it anywhere in Utah. :(|||NONE.
They all taste like socks.

火车采集器

No comments:

Post a Comment