Monday, February 6, 2012

My boyfriend's a vegetarian, although I am not. He's recently made the jump to eliminate all animal by-products, and we're grasping at straws for a few things. Primarily, what is a good thing to replace cheese with?|||The cookbook apres vous suggested is really good.

Most of the soy cheeses on the market are fairly vile. "Rice Slices" are good, and so is "Sheese" although it's still pretty hard to find.|||There is vegan cheese and you can buy it at health food stores like whole foods.|||I am trying to be a vegetarian, so I know how hard this is!!! I believe there is a soy cheese because my friend's daughter is allergic to ALL milk products (like really bad allergic!) and she eats a soy cheese, but I do not know the name. Try asking at a good health food and supplement store - they usually have access to the better tasting substitutes and usually are a wealth of information.

I wish him all the best luck!!|||There are a few vegan cheeses on the market. I've tried them before and I don't like any of them so I just go without. You can always try to get a copy of the Uncheese Cookbook by Joanne Stepaniak http://www.amazon.com/Uncheese-Cookbook-…

Be careful with some of the veggie or soy cheeses because most contain casein (milk protein), therefore not vegan. For vegan ones, most people recommend Follow Your Heart and VeganRella in America and Cheesly and Sheese in the UK. Also vegan cheese takes a bit of effort to get it to melt. It can be quite annoying.

I know cheese and cheese substitutes may seem hard to give up but really it's not hard at all.|||As far as cooking, Nutritional Yeast has a very wonderful flavor that can sometimes be described as cheesy. It's not an exact match, but it is also incredibly good for you.

There are a number of recipies for vegan "mac and cheese"
that used this to achieve a "cheesy" taste. I personally sprinkle it on any pasta and even popcorn! Yum ;)

Everyone else covered the other "cheeses" pretty well, but i wanted to pipe in with my two cents about this little gem.|||My favorite soy cheeses:

Follow Your Heart is really good when melted. You can find it at Whole Foods and many health food stores.... I've even found it at regular grocery stores, in the natural/organic section.

Tofutti soy cheese (American style) - don't like it plain, but love it melted. It comes as individually-wrapped slices.

Teese tastes soooo good but you can only buy it online:
http://store.nexternal.com/shared/StoreF…

Also, see this site for a list of non-dairy products and vegan faux meats: http://www.vegcooking.com/guide-favs.asp

You can also make delicious vegan cheese with this recipe:

Vegan Cheese
(adapted from “The New Farm Vegetarian Cookbook”)

1/2 cup Red Star nutritional yeast flakes
1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups water
1/4 cup vegan butter like Earth Balance

Mix yeast flakes, flour, and salt in a saucepan. Then add water. Heat and stir until consistency becomes thick. Then turn off heat and immediately add margarine. Stir margarine until it melts completely.

Thanks for being supportive of your boyfriend. Hope this helps!|||tofutti - Cream cheese substitute (I love it!!)

There are a pile of soy and rice cheese out there. You are pretty much limited to cheddar, mozzarella and maybe Parmesan if you are lucky however they are out there.|||soy cheese|||I suggest rather than looking for a cheese substitute, you look for a new boyfriend.

火车采集器

No comments:

Post a Comment