Friday, February 17, 2012

Like would my very picky kids and s/o be able to tell the difference between vegan cheese and dairy cheese? Is it considerably more expensive or the same?
I'm asking because we're going vegetarian(I am committed to this!) and I am making my shopping list.
How does vegan cheese compare, sodium wise?(The adults in my household all have hbp.)|||I've been a vegetarian for 8 years or so and off and on vegan - the cheese is one of the things I just could never get used to. It's okay piled on a sandwich or something, but plain I personally don't care for it. It's worth a try though. It usually is a dollar or two more expensive from what I've noticed.

Add: Dread - I understand what you are saying, but those foods make transitioning to going vegan a lot easier - especially when you are first starting out, not a good cook, or not creative in the kitchen. And some people like the taste of those things burgers, cheese, etc. - but want them in a vegetarian or vegan form.|||The texture is strange, and the taste is nowhere near the same. As Hey Mama said, it does not melt properly. I was almost-vegetarian for years (no dairy, red meat, pork, but I would eat eggs, fish and maybe once or twice a year, chicken) and I just gave up cheese altogether rather than eat the vegan stuff. Also, most of the soy cheeses out there contain casein, a milk protein, so you have to read the labels, otherwise you end up with a non-vegan cheese anyway. I have found that it is more than twice the price at least.

PQ - Hubby. I was a quiet, well-behaved child. who would sit and read for hours. My two oldest are hyper and loud, typical boys, and the littlest guy is only 5 months old, so still early to tell.|||the texture is weird -- it doesn't melt like cheese does. I would just try to find low sodium cheese or cut it out all together. try it though, maybe they'll like it. I have tried lots of vegetarian substitutes for things that taste a lot like their meaty counterparts -- cheese just isn't one of those things. not-dogs, veggie burgers and chicken nuggies though...that's good stuff right there.|||I guess by vegan cheese u r reffering 2 Tofu.
It isnt sort of cheese. Children may find it Not much tasty.
Sry i dnt knw about its sodium content.|||i wish vegans would name their foods something other than what they are NOT

there shoulkd be a law against vegan cheese being called cheese... its nasty and gross

PQ... a little bit of each|||why would you do this to your husband and kids?|||I was vegan for a handful of years, and that vegan cheese? It sucks. In fact cheese was one of the things I was least able to replace as a vegan *except* there is a vegan cream cheese -- I think it's called 'Better than Cream Cheese' or something like that, which I don't kid myself is 'all chemical, no animal' (ie. not good for you) but makes THE most awesome cheesecake when mixed with pumpkin (this is the recipe, I believe: http://www.veggieboards.com/newvb/archiv鈥?/a> The fake parmesan sprinkle has its uses as well. There is also a 'UnCheese Cookbook'***, which I am ashamed to say I own, but have tried zero recipes in (I did steal some ideas from it tho). Anyway, I think that's going to be the better way to go. It certainly couldn't be any worse than most of the fake cheeses -- which taste like they're made of plastic, in case you wondered. Anyhow, the recipes in that book use stuff like nutritional yeast, which is actually pretty tasty (and of course, nutritious), and tofu -- which you will most likely acquire a taste for, especially if you learn how to cook it in interesting ways. I used to hate it, and now I eat it plain and uncooked and love it.

BQ: My eldest is fiery, bossy, intense, socially awkward and nerdy - like me. (Yikes! Those teenage years are going to be fun!) My youngest is a social butterfly, sweet, and is (almost always) so easygoing that it blows my mind. I have no clue who she got that from, especially the social stuff, but she's the ying to my yang. We get along really well.

火车采集器
  • tagalog translator
  • chinese recipes
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment