Friday, February 17, 2012

Any time I have been grocery shopping and seen non-dairy (soy) cheese, I look at the ingredients and usually listed as the second or third ingredient is casein, which is milk protein and therefore an animal bi-product. Is there any 'cheese' that is 100% vegan? I wasn't a very big cheese eater before going vegan, but I would like to have the option to use it.|||Tofutti cheese is the best sliced cheese BUT nutritional yeast flakes taste almost exactly like parmesan cheese and are REALLY high in b vitamins as well. I love them.|||What country are you from?

In the uk, Cheezly and Toffuti cheeses are vegan, there's another two but I forgot the name. Cheezly is best in general, but recently discovered the Toffuti mozarella slices are great on pizza.

Go for one approved by the vegan society. Fully vegan cheese will state that it is vegan, too, since that is their big market.|||Isn't that annoying? I don't think they should be able to label it as non-dairy even if it has the slightest amount of dairy in it like that.

I've heard that Cheezly is amazing, but it isn't available in the US (yet? I hope I'll be able to try it at some point. Get on the ball, Cheezly people! :)), so it depends on where you're located. If you're in the US, look for Tofutti. They have vegan individually wrapped style cheese slices, and their "Better than cream cheese" is great, especially for making vegan cheesecake. There's also a vegan rice cheese by Galaxy, which I think is much better than Tofutti. I use their shredded mozzerella style every now & then when I make pizza. Follow Your Heart also has many varieties of brick style cheese which can be okay for cooking, but not to slice up for crackers or anything like that...pretty gross. There's also a vegan parmesan style cheese which I can't remember the name of or the company. But I prefer just plain nutritional yeast with a little salt for parm. anyway.

All of these are kind of expensive though, so mainly, when I want something cheese-like, I use this recipe: http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=7057.0 . I don't use as much salt as it calls for and I add a bit of turmeric, and use soymilk instead of water usually. The longer you cook it, the thicker it will get, so you can either make it something creamy & smooth to pour on top of veggies or for nachos, etc. (might need to add a tiny bit more water or "milk" for this) or let it cook longer & then chill for a while so it's more like a sliceable/spreadable soft cheese. I love it thicker & spread on a sandwich with toasted bread or a bagel. Yummy. :)|||You should keep your eyes open for "Follow Your Heart"
Its a vegan cheese, no casein.
BUT, in my opinion its not the best. Actually,the cheddar is sick. But i really do find that the mozzarella is quite okay.
Galaxy foods also makes a parmesan "shred" that just sprinkles over food, i find it to work well in pasta when you want that cheesy flavor.

You could always order them off the internet, if you cant find them at the store.|||By definition cheese is dairy therefore not vegan.

火车采集器
  • new cd releases
  • death certificates
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment