Saturday, March 3, 2012

Me and my little brother are allergic to milk and i am also allergic to soy. We would really like to have cheese so our mom bouth us the vegan cheese made by galaxy nutritional foods but it tasted HORRIBLE and when we tried to melt it in a cheese sandwhich it didnt melt and when we tried to melt it in the microwave it turned kindof hard. so now we are looking for a cheese alternative that tastes and has a melting consistancy similar to cow cheese. I hear daiya cheese melts really good but i dont want to waste my mom's money as these cheeses are very pricey. So could you tell me of your experiences with this cheese and how it tasted with any types of foods. Thanks your really helping us out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)|||I like daiya, but I didn't always like it. It really depends on your preferences. Cheddar Daiya melts and tastes pretty good great in sandwiches, but I personally prefer Vegan Gourmet cheese to Daiya for use in sandwiches. I've actually made vegan mozzarella sticks out of Daiya by melting it, mixing it with vegan parmesan sprinkles, battering it, and deep frying it. Pizza turns out good too.
It is expensive - $5.99 around where I'm from, but I only buy it occasionally and you don't need to use a lot of it at a time, so that's another good thing. Each bag contains 2 cups of cheese, I think. Or you can buy it in bulk in a 5lb. bag for $40 and freeze the rest, because it does freeze well.
On another note, it doesn't have much nutritional value since it basically all fat and starch. So that's another reason to eat it sparingly. It's more like a "treat" to me. As far as taste goes, I think we'll have to wait a while longer for a vegan cheese that actually tastes much like non-vegan cheese. However, Daiya and The Vegan Gourmet are two of the best.|||Hey,
I just checked the ingredients and the Vegan Gourmet Cheese does contain soy; tofu specifically. If you still want to know how much it costs, it's about 4.99 in my area. A book you might want to check out is 'The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook' by Jo Stephaniak.

Report Abuse

|||It's actually quite horrible. I had it on a pizza and it did melt but it was nasty. It tasty like unbaked dough and had the same consistency of raw dough. I suggest you just go without cheese. It's not that hard once you just accept that you can't eat it. I had the Daiya over Christmas and it was terrible. Before that I hadn't had any cheese in months and I have no desire to have it again. It was just too bad.|||Just a couple of days ago I layered eggplant slices, chopped broccoli, pasta sauce, and Daiya shredded mozzarella cheese shreds to make a vegan lasagna. My meat-eating roommate loved it, and said the cheese itself was the best substitute cheese product he had ever had...it melts beautifully.

I also use the cheddar flavor to sprinkle on salads and bowls of vegetarian chili.

You really should invest in one package to try it for yourself...both straight and melted in or on a meal.

I for one, love it.|||It melts,but when it melts it melts A LOT and is quite runny.But other than that,it tastes ok.Not very good,but not so bad.Probably the best you'll get,though.It goes best with pizza!It smells just like the real stuff,and tastes very similar,but just don't expect it to taste EXACTLY like the real thing.:]|||I LOVE Daiya! It melts really well too. I have it on tortilla chips and with pasta (mac & "cheese"). But each person has their personal preference. You'll just have to find out what yours is.|||It's the closest you'll find to dairy cheese

火车采集器
  • vegan cheese
  • grimaldis
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment