Friday, March 9, 2012

Hello. =] I have been a vegetarian for almost three years. I love being a vegetarian and it feels good to know I'm not harming animals. But as I really think about it, would becoming a Vegan be better all around? I do not eat eggs already, because I know how horribly chickens are treated. Also, I just do not like the thought of eating eggs. It grosses me out.
So, my questions are: Should I just become vegan? What are the plus sides to Veganism? Also, I love cheese. So what is a good tasting vegan cheese I could try? And the same for milk?

And I know a ton of animal products are almost "hidden" in foods. So basically, what would be the things I couldn't eat if I became vegan? Or if it is easier, what would be the things I could eat?

Sorry for the many questions. Thank you in advance!|||Well my biggest plus to veganism is knowing I'm doing all I can to help animals, and it decreases your impact on the environment and is usually better for your health too :)

There's soy cheese you can try- Daiya and Follow Your Heart are most popular. I've never actually tried soy cheese, though, so I can't offer an opinion. There's also rice milk cheese, which is harder to find, and there's actually an Uncheese Cookbook for vegan 'cheese' dips, sauces, etc.

For milk, there's soy, almond, rice, hemp, or coconut milk. You can also make your own milk from basically any type of nut- just look up directions for making almond milk and sub in a different nut.

Dairy- sodium caseinate, casein, whey. Eggs- albumin. Most times, dairy and eggs acually have very little hidden ingredients, and they're usually listed as 'nonfat milk', 'egg yolks', pretty obvious stuff.

I don't really care if my food has touched meat. If it doesn't have meat IN it, then I didn't contribute to the slaughter of animals by paying for it. Thats how I think of it. Usually, I just order a bunch of sides. For example, at Bob Evans I'll get a fruit cup, broccoli, a baked potato, and mixed garden veggies. Not the most gourmet meal, but it passes. Ethnic places like Qdoba are great (love their tortilla soup :))- Mexican, Indian, Italian, etc. And don't be afraid to adjust your order, you're the one paying for the meal and they're the ones serving you. For example. at an Italian restaurant, you could order a linguine-in-garlic-and-olive-oil dish, but sub the chicken with broccoli and minus the cheese. Stuff like that. I don't like salads as a general rule, so can't help on that.

Some ideas for meals are vegetable rice, chana masala, pasta salad, spring rolls, vegetable samosas, vegetable pot pie, 3-bean chili, burritos, sweet potato fries, pancakes/waffles, pita with hummus, minestrone soup, spaghetti with 'meatballs', 'pups in blankets' (tofu dogs wrapped in biscuit meal and baked), marinated and grilled veggie kebabs, vegetable stir-fry, soba noodles, vegetable paella, mushroom risotto, stuff like that. Just use your head! Last night, I was looking for dinner cuz my family was eating pizza, and I sauteed borlotti beans, tomatoes, onions, minced garlic, oregano, parsley, and a pinch of salt, had it on pita bread. Yummy :) You just have to think outside the box.

Good luck! Feel free to message me or email at abbey95girl@aol.com.|||There are many alternatives to cheese. Since you are a vegetarian for ethical reasons, you should know that dairy cows are subjected to cruel conditions and by supporting the dairy industry, you also support the veal industry. When the calves are born, the males are taken away and turned into veal aka baby cow. The females are taken away and turned into dairy cows.
It's very easy to be a vegan. Fruits, vegetables, nuts, beans, whole wheats, brown rice, seaweed, sea vegetables, lentils and legumes, soy milk, rice milk, hemp milk, and almond milk, will keep you completely healthy. No supplements required.|||There are egg substitutes for cooking and things. Also almost and soy milks are yummy.
I'm not sure if any of these are vegan I just know they are great vegitarian options. Good luck.|||it is your choice to be or not to be. please decide accordingly|||becoming a vegan is a personal decision, only you can make the decision. Or, eat vegan as much as you are comfortable, i.e., the egg issue (that answer may upset some serious vegans, sorry, just my opinion!) some of the things to look out for on labels; milk solids, whey, casine (don't think that's spelled right). Soy products are great sources, beans, legumes. there are also some great Vegan recipe websites available. Just google it. As far as restaurants.... A lot of them will accommodate a special request. If you are making a reservation ahead of time, ask then. It gives them more time to come up with something other than a salad!
A great meal is pizza!! just ask the restaurant to leave off all cheese (including Parmesan). You'll be amazed how crispy the crust is with just the veggies!!! Even wins over the non-vegans!|||Stop being paranoid and eat normally like the rest of us. You're being silly. Eat meat.
By not eating meat, you're not changing how animals get treated. The system's been in place for a long time, and one person refusing to eat meat is not gonna change people's minds.
Ever hear of the venus fly trap? The plant that eats meat?

火车采集器

No comments:

Post a Comment