Saturday, March 3, 2012

I don't label myself as vegetarian or vegan, though my eating habits tend to include whole foods/lots of veggies and lack meat. That being said, I was wondering if anyone else thinks some of the vegan/vegetarian substitutes out there are a little ridiculous. Tofurky, daiya (and other vegan cheeses), veggie burgers (the ones that are meant to imitate hamburgers), etc.... I find it a little bit hypocritical to give yourself a label which implies that you aren't ok with the consumption of meat (or dairy) and then buy products that were made with the intention of mimicking certain meat/dairy products.|||I don't think eating vegan substitutes that is similar to meat is hypocritical. They are not meat and no animal had to suffer for it. That is the main point for me. It also doesn't have the saturated fats, hormones, cholesterol, etc... I am not really into the fake stuff that looks like real stuff, but I'll eat it at times. There is a great little vegan pizza shop near me that uses daiya (for example) and their pizzas are delicious. I see nothing objectionable about eating there. It also might be good for people who are transitioning to veganism.|||I agree with you, to an extent. The only imitation products I use are mayo (Vegenaise) and butter (Earth Balance) though I've really gotten away from using them just because of how heavily processed they probably are.

I can see people using imitation mayo and butter for flavor, but getting plant-based, prepackaged burgers that are supposed to taste like meat, or tofurky type deals like you mentioned, as a bit silly. Making a "burger" at home out of vegetables is different, but buying a tofu roast meant to taste like a dead bird is silly.|||It's not hypocritical... hypocrisy is claiming that a behavior should be followed while not following it yourself...

If someone says "Eating meat is wrong" and then eats meat, they are hypocritical...

If someone says "Eating meat is wrong" and then eats a veggie patty that resembles a hamburger but has no meat content whatsoever... than that is not hypocritical... they did not go against their statement...

It isn't hypocritical, it is used to help them keep their promise not to eat meat/dairy. Finding a substitute for something you don't agree with is not hypocrisy... just like wearing fake fur instead of real fur, or imitation leather...

Some of it may be a little silly... but it's doing no harm.|||Not really. It's providing a cruelty free way to have the same exact thing.|||You're not the first person to ask that question. My good friend, and the first vegetarian I ever met, refuses to eat things like veggie burgers because she finds them odd. They remind her too much of meat, which repulses her.

I feel these products originated to help former meat-eaters transition into becoming vegetarians or vegans, especially the burgers, chicken patties, and Tofurky items. Often, "all-American" foods like burgers and hot dogs are hardest for people to give up. Creating meat-free versions helps with the transition, especially on social occasions like Independence Day BBQs.

Also, remember, not everyone chooses to be vegetarian or vegan for moral reasons. Many choose it for their personal health, and in those cases, it is not hypocritical to eat meat substitutes.|||I'll make this short and simple.

We believe that the ways that animals are slaugtherd is wrong, but we do like the taste.

You can get the same taste and nutrional value with out the animal cruelty and the bacteria, e coli...etc.|||1: Home made tofurky is delicious. The stuff from the brand does look pretty gross though.
2: Many meat replacement products are highly processed and unhealthy, so I stay away from them. A few dairy replacements are okay, but you really have to hunt for them. However, it's not at all hypocritical. It's simply a way to follow the typical Western diet without the typical Western inhumanity thrown in.|||I generally don't eat substitutes because I generally veer clear of processed foods.

However I don't see them as hypocritical. A lot of people really like meat, eggs and cheese however opt not to consume them. If the substitutes help them get through the cravings or make the transition easier that is fine.

火车采集器
  • mbusa
  • helly hansen
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment