Tuesday, February 14, 2012

I've been vegetarian for a few years and I'd like to go vegan. But my weak spot...cheese. It's kind of a staple in my diet. How painful is it to wean yourself off?|||Coming from a vegan, who has tried most mock cheeses.

There all just unbelievably horrible, they taste disgusting, and I would highly recommend just forgetting about cheese, and eating other vegans foods that taste good.

Of course you can try some mock cheeses, and see if you like them. But if you think its going to taste anything even close to cheese, you're going to be disappointed..|||Not too painful. I use daiiy. They have a great shredded cheese product that's meltable etc and I think it's delicious. I discovered it while trying to find make a good vegan pizza. Nutritional yeast also adds a cheesy taste to most dishes. I haven't yet found a vegan cheese that I think is great just to eat with cheese and crackers but maybe I'll find out after I answer this! :) Also, consider what happens for to the cows and male calves. The mother's are often artificially inseminated and have to just keep giving birth until they can't anymore and die of exhaustion or are sold off as diseased meat. The males are separated and usually killed before they even know what's going on. That's what happens to get your cheese fix. Best to you. You can do it. There are also awesome vegan pate that can be amazing and you can do a LOT with taste. I make mine in my vitamix but you could also buy an inexpensive cuisinart and do the same thing. Have fun!|||There some vegan cheese-like products. None are going to taste like real cheese,but they can do in a spot when you are having a craving. Food Front in Portland sells a bunch of different types, here is their website: http://foodfightgrocery.com/fake-cheesy/

Also, nutritional yeast, sold as a vegan supplement and in bulk, has a cheesy-nutty flavor. It is good sprinkled over pasta with olive oil. There are many fake-cheese recipes made with nutritional yeast, like "gee whiz" to make a fake processed-cheese like product. It's pretty good.|||Most "fake" cheeses don't taste like cheese. The only thing that tastes like cheese is cheese. However, the other stuff can be good if you appreciate it for what it is, rather than what it's trying to imitate. The same goes for any "replacement" foods.|||@Ariel Thank you for the hummus suggestion!
I am also trying to reduce dairy. But I really wanted to make this carrot souffle I love for xmas. I wasn't sure how to replace the cheese in it, because I don't normally like vegan cheese. But I just bet that hummus would give an excellent edge to the souffle!

Yay!|||Cheese! My weakness too. There is some fake cheese called Veggie Slices. I have seen them at Target and Sunflower Market. They have some different flavors like American, cheddar, and pepperjack. Otherwise it looks like you already got some good reccomendations from other people :)|||My sister is a vegan and used Daiya cheese in everything (http://www.daiyafoods.com/). I have tried it before - it's good and I couldn't tell the difference.|||Hummus!|||I think maybe tofu?

火车采集器

No comments:

Post a Comment