Tuesday, February 21, 2012

I love cheese (grew up in WI), and was disheartened to learn that I am allergic to milk and milk products. What vegan cheese options do I have for pizza, parmesan cheese, chip dips, etc? Most chip dips are sour cream or cream cheese bases. Any tips so I don't end up with a cart full of gross vegan cheeses today? I'm heading over to Whole Foods in a few hours.|||Well, if you're interested in making your own, I suggest the following cookbook: The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook by Jo Stepaniak (First Link). If you're looking for more of a cheese dip or macaroni and cheese base, try the recipe in the second link. Instead of using it as mac & cheese, I've added soyrizo and other spices to make an awesome queso dip. It uses an ingredient called nutritional yeast, which you will probably find at whole foods. Look for it in a jar that kind of resembles Parmesan cheese. The brand name is Red Star. If you like it (and I've never met anyone who didn't), you should head to a natural foods store and buy it in bulk. Not only is it better for the environment, but you'll be using so much of it, you'll use way more than the little jar will offer you.

Some of the best pre-made vegan cheeses I've tried have come from a company called Teese. Sheez is good also. You may be able to pick it up at Whole Foods, but if not, you can order it online (or if you're in Atlanta, right at the store) from the third link.

I'm not too happy with the result of the vegan slices that I buy at my local store, but they're what I have to deal with. It's not so much taste, but the meltability of the cheese. It's nothing they can really control, as casein is what causes it to melt, which isn't vegan. In order to counteract that, when making veggie burgers or anything like that, make sure to cover the pan when the cheese is put on in order to help facilitate the melting. A few seconds in the microwave will work wonders as well.

Reading what I have though, you're probably only lactose intolerant, and there are many, many more options open to you. Look for a brand called Veggie Slices, or any brand that does contain casein in the ingredients list, as it will melt a lot better. I suggest trying to skip out on any animal products, but if you want to try these kind, it's your prerogative.

As for cream cheese or sour cream, Tofutti is the way to go. I'll go ahead and close with an unrequested dairy alternative: Earth Balance Buttery Spread. It's one of the best butter alternatives I've ever tasted.|||There is one that is made from rice, it is a lot better than the soy ones in my opinion|||I still haven't found one that I like. The vegan cream cheese isn't bad. I have found it is yummier and much less expensive to just omit the cheese completely- cheese free pizza is actually really good, and you can use soft tofu in many dip recipes- find a good vegan cookbook.|||Buy a cow/goat, and milk it and make cheese yourself!|||teese vegan cheese from chicago
you can google it|||IMO follow your heart monterey jack is the best vegan cheese you can buy at the store in the united states. its at whole foods.|||vegan cheese is gross, if you like the texture of congealed mammory juice than toffuti cream cheese isn't bad and plasticy cheese slices the same company does good ones but you can't eat them just with bread or on there own they have to be melty or with a vegan burger or something to be ok. Not like salsa for chips? xxx|||Almond cheese is really good but has a kinda rubber texture not as bad as I describe it but close to it, soy bleu, parma cheese. Soy cheese-rice cheese-vegan cheese are gross to me but out of these 3 soy is the best.
*edit*
I love shopping at Whole Foods :D the one in Texas is the best one so far to bad It's usually the smaller ones in MN :)|||I am a former chef and a lacto-ovo vegetarian now, and I have also found the rice cheeses are nice to like the first person, the biggest issue with any non-dairy cheese is the fat content, I have found if you grate the soya cheese, and toss them with a few drops of veg oil and then put them on the product your grilling or broiling, I have just recently tried the Rice Parmesan, and find with the Soya mozzarella and the bit of oil, a dash of salt and even some garlic powder that I can make a decent pizza or garlic toast on fat free ciabatta bread very well.

You sometime have to try a few to find one that is right, here in Toronto Canada I get one from a company that make a cheddar and mozzarella type, Soy Good.|||In my opinion there are absolutely no decent vegan fake cheeses. By definition cheese is dairy.

火车采集器
  • money games
  • fun girl games
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment