Friday, February 3, 2012

I found a recipe for a vegan cheese sauce that looked really good, I then read it just recently because my mom asked me how much nutritional yeast will be in the recipe( she's not a huge fan of it) and it didn't call for any. So I was wondering if anyone has tried a vegan cheese sauce made withOUT nutritional yeast and how it tasted, and if it tasted better if u had added any kind of spice or herb or something to it.|||I've done quite a few that tried to use different mushrooms or nuts and found them lacking. As a general rule (in my experience) the most important flavorings to give the impression of 'cheesiness' are NT and (distant second) dry Mustard powder. The best recipes I've found for 'faking' cheese all come from "The new Farm Vegetarian Cookbook". With the exception of their calling for honey in some recipes it'd be totally vegan.

I'm curious what your mom has against NT (besides maybe the flavor of most of 'em) if you don't mind me being nosy<G>.

OK, thanks for the answer. You might try a different brand of NT since they are different in taste/smell/texture, I prefer the KAL flakes because they do have a bit more 'cheesiness' than the others I've tried (and I think through the years I've tried them all<g>). You haven't asked for a recipe but I'll give you this one which does ask for NT but I've made it without the yeast in the past since I've got a friend that has a 'quasi-allergic' reaction to yeast. (it's my modified version of the Farms cheese sauce)

1/2 cup flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
2 cups water
1/4 cup vegan margarine
1 tsp Coleman's mustard powder
1/2 cup NT or 1/4 cup potato starch+1/4 cup cornstarch+1 tsp mushroom extract

Over medium heat bring water to simmer, then mix dry ingredients and whisk into water until thick and bubbly. Remove from heat and whisk margarine into mix.
The thickness is going to be similar to nacho cheese 'plasti-goop' but you can add as much water as needed to get the texture you want (the 'built in' texture is good for mac'n'cheese on pizza) for things like pouring over veggies. Additionally, the no NT version gets a little stretchy when oven baked on things like pizza or for "au gratin" type dishes.
Hope this helps!|||There is a book called "The Uncheese Cookbook" with all manner of vegan cheese recipes. I believe there are some that are made with ground cashews that don't make use of taste-able amounts of nutritional yeast. I haven't looked at that cookbook for years, but if it has 100+ recipes, they can't all be based on nutritional yeast!

火车采集器

No comments:

Post a Comment